Sunday, August 7, 2011

Hi, I'm Tiffani and I'm a cynic.

On Friday night, I was hanging out with some friends when one of them said their significant other had cheated. Well, this came as a shock to me and my girl friend who was there with me because this person would never, ever cross my mind as that kind of a person. Later that night, my girl friend told me she was thinking of rejoining the Marriage is for Chumps Club. To which I laughed and I said that it was a good club to be in.

Then yesterday, the same girl and I went to a wedding (which was really more like a church service than a wedding ceremony, but I digress). Then entire time I just kept thinking about how the idea of a wedding is lovely, I would like a wedding, but the idea of a marriage just escapes me. Marriage is a sacred thing and it's hard, but people these days throw around marriage and divorce like it's no biggie. I understand this because we are just people, but why get your hopes up having a wedding/marriage to a person who says they'll love you and only you forever when you know people change. I'm not saying it never works, but it's hard, hard work full of compromise and forgiveness. A lot of people like to think everything is black and white with no gray areas, but the truth is, there are a lot of gray areas. People make mistakes. Things happen, and you've got to decide if you've got what it takes to work through the hard times. In a wedding, the vows usually say "for better, or for worse" but people don't think about the "for worse" part. Not to mention, people are so fickle. It happens.


And then, people are having relationship problems left and right, and these girls are killing me. I just want to bitch slap them. If a guy cheats once, forgiveness is understandable, mistakes happen, but more than once? No. He's not worth it. If he's lying to your face about it, it's not worth it. So, please, don't sit there and tell people he's really a good guy when everyone knows what a cheating, lying jerk he really is. If you are living with a boyfriend/girlfriend and they tell you mean, hateful things about yourself all the time, they are begging for you to break up with them. Constantly being a jerk to you and talking to another person for quite a while is a pretty big red flag that they aren't worth it.  If you are wanting to get back with an ex, don't sleep with other people while telling her/him you're only seeing her/him. They will find out. They will hate you. I know I seem like I have a complete lack of sympathy for these people, but you can only keep finding the good in them for so long before you realize you are wasting your time. Some of them have passed the I-feel-sad-for-you level and upgraded to the You-are-pathetic level. I know things are much more complicated when emotions are involved, but you've got to know when enough is enough.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree about people just throwing marriage around like it's no big deal. I believe in marriage and would love to get married one day, but so many people get married these days as the next stage in a relationship rather than because they actually want to spend the rest of their life with someone. So many marriages fail because people just bail when the going gets tough, and I want to make sure that doesn't happen to me!

Cherie said...

I'm with ya. I think my current singleness has made me a bitter old lady before my time.

And totally agree about the jerk thing. My roommate is dating a guy who is an a-hole and a half. Everyone sees it but her, though. And she's the same girl who took back her ex - twice - after he dumped her to date other girls. Sometimes I want to punch her. And my married ex-boyfriend. And all the super-happy engaged girls I know.

Blah on relationships and people.

Wow, I'm a downer. I'm going to shut up now before I depress the world.

Cherie @ Refractions

Tiffani said...

Emma - It's so true! I just want to get married once, not four or five times. =)

Cherie - I kind of like being a bitter old lady. ;)

And for your roommate, that sucks. She'll figure it out eventually, I hope, but sometimes they'll just never see it. = /