Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Would you date a single parent?

[Before I begin, I would like to let my friend know, if she reads this post, that I am not making a dick at her. I've honestly been pondering since our conversation! <3]

Now, you may be wondering what, exactly, it is I've been pondering. Yesterday, a friend texted me and said she had news. I asked what and it boiled down to her seeing/datingish someone. So, naturally, I creeped him on facebook. I had just looked at a few of his pictures when she said, "So?" to which I replied that I thought he looked a little country, but she really likes that, so he was solid.

Then I saw it.

Or rather, I saw her. Her being his daughter. I don't want to say I was shocked beyond belief or totally freaking out, but I was really curious as to how my friend felt about it. She mentioned she was nervous about the prospect they could begin to get serious, but at the same time, she feels she can't decide against dating him because of the child. I agreed and said it'd probably be a mean thing to do, but added that I guess it really depends on where she is in her life. With that being said, I am now wondering if it really is mean to decide against dating someone just because they have a child.

For me, I think I would decide against dating someone if they had a child just because when I think of children, I see this:
Who wants to wake up to this? 

When they are usually like this:

But I wanted a lollipop!



I guess sometimes they are sweet and endearing, too(read: I like kids that are related to me). However, I'd feel like I was being forced to grow up faster than planned. But, that's the funny thing about life, isn't it? It doesn't care at all what your plans are. If they are really perfect for you, should you allow a child to be a deal breaker? And I'm not talking demon children and the children of the corn. I'm talking normal children. 

So, would you decide against dating someone just because they have a child, and do you think it is wrong to do so?

6 comments:

Yvonne said...

This post was cute but also very true. For a long time I would have absolutely 100% said no to any guy with a kid. Wouldn't even consider it.

Now I'd give them a chance maybe.. thankfully I have a boyfriend with no kid so it's not an issue that I have to deal with lol

Caitlin said...

I died when I saw those pictures. Lovely :)
After my lovely summer with my brother's 3 demon children, I'd like to stay away from them for a few more years.

Unknown said...

Only you would put the Murder photo up. LOL I've actually thought about this and at this point, I couldn't do it. It's enough to deal with kids while taking their photo. I'm also not crazy about having kids myself, but you know, it works for some people. And if it does, more power to them!

Cherie said...

I definitely wouldn't rule someone out because he had a kid. It's not something I'd prefer, but I couldn't rule out someone would could possibly be the love of my life just because they happened to have procreated with someone else.

Monica said...

I personally do not want kids of my own(as I have said numerous times) But I am open to dating someone who has kids that are over 7 years old. they have to be able to take care of themselves and they can't have custody of their kid. Some people might say that is being picky but I don't deal with little kids that aren't related.

Tiffani said...

On one hand, I agree with you, Cherie, I feel like it's a mean thing to do, but at the same time, I just couldn't do it.

For that matter, I haven't decided I even want kids of my own!